Monday, January 19, 2015

Are You A Genealogist?


On Saturday (2/17/14) I attended the first of six classes regarding the DAR Genealogical Research System (GRS). The presenter was my friend and fellow DAR member, Sandy Rumble. She is a big fan of education in all phases of one’s life and she’s always looking for ways to improve her genealogy skills.  This past fall she took and passed with flying colors all three DAR GEP courses. This is lucky for me because Sandy enjoys passing on her knowledge. Her drive and motivation in her own words is,If I am looking for answers as to what I need to do to prove new patriots and clear up flags…Others must be too...” There’s been many a time when I’ve shot off a quick text asking her a question or a request to look over a document. She in return has always gotten back to me with encouragement and support. We all should be so lucky as to have a friend like Sandy.  Oh I forgot to say, Sandy is also a software developer and a true computer geek too, so she’s also taught me a few things about manipulating computer screens as well.

Her presentation today centered on what the DAR application should contain and how to avoid a HW, a letter from the DAR genealogist that is asking for further documentation. She explained how to use the website, and how to glean information from other members’ applications; as well as explaining what all the red flags mean.

 Sandy’s presentation was well thought out and skillfully delivered. She fielded questions and squelched testy, frustrated participants with patience and grace. She clearly demonstrated that she knew her stuff. I’m looking forward to the next five classes.

The classes are being held in a replica of a cabin from the mid-1700s.  The house was pretty typical of that time period. It was basically was one big room. It had an upstairs area and had an added on space for bathrooms and a furnace room. Underneath the staircase, there was a curtain covering that space, why? While standing in line to use the bathroom, my curiosity got the best of me and I couldn’t resist peeking behind the curtain. It was a disappointment, for all that was there was a filing cabinet and other miscellaneous items. But what shocked me the most was the conversation that took place just after my peek. Just as I was closing the curtain, one of the other participants walked up and asked with a smile, “Why are you looking behind that curtain?”
 I responded, “Just curious, like any good genealogist.”
Her: “Oh, are you a genealogist?”
Me: “No, I’m just Jill!”
And it got me wondering, am I a genealogist? So I when I got home it was straight to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary for a definition. According to the on-line version it states:
 
ge·ne·al·o·gist
noun \ˌjē-nē-ˈä-lə-jist also -ˈa-lə- also ˌje-nē-\

Definition of GENEALOGIST: 
a person who traces or studies the descent of persons or families

After reading that I say,yes I am! My application to the DAR may have been easy in that I only need to prove myself to my grandmother. But there’s more than just that aspect of it all. Before I started researching my families past, we didn’t know where my Dad’s family came from in Germany or when they came to the US, or that my 2xGreat Grandfather had a sister. I found all that good stuff! I dug, combed and poured over websites, engaged a researcher in Germany; wrote letters requesting baptismal records from churches and sent off for marriage licenses from the Illinois state archives. The prize at the end of all those hours of work was this: my family came from Stockheim, Germany, arrived in New Orleans in November of 1860 and my Great Aunt was Hannah Louise and she was only nine months old when she arrived with her parents in New Orleans.

So go ahead, ask me if I’m a genealogist and I will proudly tell you; Yes I am!


 

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are!

    First of all, I'm kind of jealous about the class you are taking! And, I need to work more on my DAR stuff. I have a couple of other ancestors I just need to put things together for. I have only applied for membership under one ancestor, but I stared from scratch!

    I love your eagerness & curiosity! And, I agree with Sandy's desire to be a life-long learner. I can't learn enough!

    ReplyDelete