Friday, July 17, 2015

Friends and Neighbors

I love the website Fultonhistory.com. If you are not familiar with it, it is a wonderful site containing thousands of New York newspapers you can browse and it's FREE!. This site has been a goldmine for me as my mother's side of the family all came from western New York. So naturally when I wanted to learn more about my cousin Jessie this is the site I turned too.

But first things first, from her death certificate I know that Jessie was born in 1894 and she was the daughter of John Lynch and Mary Kelly.
Jessie Lynch Mulvihill Gruber my personal picture

Now I turn to Fultonhistory.com and I find the following:
  • 1910 Jessie's brother James drowns trying to save a friend
    James and Jessie Lynch 1898 my personal picture
  • 1914 Jessie opens her first hairdressing salon; 
  • 1915 She marries Edward Mulvihill. Bertha Habberfield is her bridesmaid.
    Bertha Habberfield my personal picture
  • 1916 Jessie travels to Philadelphia to attend a hairdressers fashion show
  • 1919 Jessie attends Martha Harper Hairdressing School in Rochester, NY
  • 1920 Jessie and her husband Edward are both sick, he does not recover and dies
  • 1922 Jessie marries Charles Gruber; she also participates in a Knights of Columbus production of "Under Cover", Donald Grady is one of the participants.
  • 1926 Jessie buys another hairdressing salon
  • 1929 Jessie advertises her salon will exclusively offer Martha Harper's hair products and techniques.
  • 1930's Jessie and her husband Charles buy and sell houses; take and extended trip out West and also take a trip to Niagara Falls.
  • 1933 The Gruber house has a small house fire causing $50 worth of damage.
  • 1942 Jessie's parents celebrate their 62nd Wedding Anniversary
  • 1950 Jessie's father dies
  • 1953/1954 tragically Jessie's husband dies suddenly in Dec. 31 1953 while she is in Penn Yan caring for her ill mother who also dies. A double funeral was held on Jan. 4, 1954.
  • 1977 Jessie dies she was 83 years old

But the most interesting thing is, Bertha Habberfield was a dear friend of my grandmother Marie Catherine Sauerborn. There was a significant age difference between them but Nonnie as we called her, remained friends with Bertha all her life.
Marie Sauerborn and Bertha Habberfield my personal picture

Then there's Donald Grady. Donald marries Marie Catherine Sauerborn in 1922.  Donald had a love for the theatre, and preformed in several plays during High School and thereafter. My mother, Mary Charlotte Grady inherited this love of theatre and preformed in many productions in Salt Lake City, UT and with the Dramateurs in Contra Costa CO, CA where I grew up. It really is a small world.

Though I had inherited all these wonderful pictures, I did not know how all these people were connected. Now to try and figure out how the Sauerborn's of Geneva, NY knew the Habberfield's of Penn Yan, NY.


1 comment:

  1. What amazing photos! And stories! Isn't it great when you find a site that carries the papers that YOUR ancestors are in?!? And, in your case, it is FREE!! Very nice! And, it's neat to see how your family & friends tie together!

    ReplyDelete